Planning and dimensioning of GSM/GPRS/EDGE Network
||Understand the dimensioning process and practice practical exercises with planning tools, calibration of propagation models with real measurements, coverage prediction.
||Engineers and managers of cellular network planning services of mobile operators
||2 to 3 days.
||MapInfo, Piano, ICS Telecom, Atoll, Asset, Planet, m-pLan, mp-Lab Solution Suite, …
Radio network planning of a cellular network
- Cellular concept and reuse of frequencies.
- Concept of cell pattern and distance reuse.
- Propagation in mobile radio environment: phenomena and effects (mask effect, vegetation impact, multiple paths and Rayleigh fading, Delay Spread and Doppler), interference, noise, …
- Propagation models: multi-floors and multi-layers model, Pathloss, empirical and exact models, Okumura-Hata model, Walfish-Ikegami model, Deygout model, multi-rays model, …
- Propagation model tuning: procedure, tools, implementation and validation.
- Basic concepts of cellular network antennas: main characteristics, types, diagram, …
Radio Ressources Engineering
- Quality of service concept: reminders on perception and evaluation by operators and subscribers.
- Laws of Erlang and approximations: origin of the Erlang B, approximation of the general Erlang law, Erlang C law and formulas.
- Application exercises: GSM channel sizing for traffic (TCH) and signaling (SDCCH).
- Dimensioning of radio resources (TCH, SDCCH, number of TRX, DPCCH and DPTCH …).
- Dimensioning techniques: theory of traffic dimensioning packet data, traffic patterns, approximations for traffic in a cellular network.
- Exercises: examples of GPRS and EDGE networks.
- Dimensioning of nodes: Dimensioning of BTSs and A-bis links, Dimensioning of BSCs, Parameters of a BSC (processor load, number of TRX and maximum BTSs, capacity of signaling and traffic links, …).
Radio planning coverage and optimization of a cellular network
- Life cycle of a cellular network: project identification and dimensioning, planning and business plan, implementation and network tuning, optimization and evolution, densification and introduction of new services.
- TDMA budget link: standard, principle theory and examples of link budget, with and without a repeater.
- Radio network planning tools: standard, utility, inputs, functionalities, digital maps (DTM, Clutter, Ortho Image, Vectors, …).
- AFP: complexity and number of possible solutions.